Aloe Vera | Skin Nutrient™
- 2-3 MINUTE READ.
- Rating: GOOD
- Clinically Proven: No
- Function: May help to soothe and hydrate the skin.
- Side Effects: No known side effects
What it is: Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, commonly known as Aloe Vera, is a 100% natural extract. It's middle layer contains 99.5% of water. The other 0.5% of the inner layer is made up of up to 75 identified components such as zinc, potassium, magnesium, and vitamins such as vitamins E, C, and D.
How it works:
- Soothes and cools: Given that Aloe Vera is 99.5% water it helps to cool the skin and prevent heat becoming trapped in the skin. This is great for skin conditions that are heat producing or for minor burns.
- Hydrates: Aloe Vera may help to prevent transepidermal water loss. This occurs when water in the skin is lost to the environment and air, particularly in dry environments like heaters and air conditioners. Aloe Vera contains a class of sugar molecules that help bind moisture into the skin. These molecules are also naturally found in human skin with a primary role of supporting the proteins collagen and elastin in the dermis.
- Heals: Aloe Vera may also have anti-inflammatory benefits to the skin. The benefits provided by Aloe vera are due to the 75 active phytochemicals found in this plant. Aloe Vera provides 20 of the 22 human-required amino acids and eight of the eight essential amino acids. Aloe Vera exhibits strong anti-inflammatory activity due to an enzyme, bradykinase. By inhibiting the inflammatory mediators thromboxane B2 and prostaglandin F2, bradykinase helps to reduce excessive inflammation when applied to the skin topically.
- Antioxidant Rich: Aloe is rich in vitamins C and E, which are antioxidants that protect the skin from the damaging effects of environmental free radicals, such as UV exposure, pollution, and chemical irritants. Vitamin C also plays a role in the synthesis of collagen, the protein that gives your skin strength and durability. You can also find beta carotene in the Aloe vera plant, which is a precursor to vitamin A. Beta carotene is just one of the four carotenoids that demonstrate vitamin A activity in humans and also acts as an antioxidant. The concentration of vitamin C and beta carotene in Aloe vera is not significant enough to significantly improve the skin but may help to improve the overall appearance slightly.
Skin Nutrient™ Products Containing Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract:
References for this information:
Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel (CIR), 2007. ‘Final report on the safety assessment of aloe andongensis extract, aloe andongensis leaf juice, aloe arborescens leaf extract, aloe arborescens leaf juice, aloe arborescens leaf protoplasts, aloe barbadensis flower extract, aloe barbadensis leaf, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, aloe barbadensis leaf polysaccharides, aloe barbadensis leaf water, aloe ferox leaf extract, aloe ferox leaf juice, and aloe ferox leaf juice extract’, International Journal Toxicology, vol. 26, pp. 1-50.
Guo, X, & Mei, N, 2016. ‘Aloe vera: A review of toxicity and adverse clinical effects’, Journal of Environmental \Science and Health. Part C, Environmental Carcinogenesis & Ecotoxicology Reviews, vol. 34, is. 2, pp. 77–96.
Hamman J, 2008. ‘Composition and Applications of Aloe vera Leaf Gel. Molecules, vol. 13, is. 8, pp. 1599-1616.
Hęś, M, Dziedzic, K, Górecka, D, Jędrusek-Golińska & Gujska, E, 2019. ‘Aloe vera (L.) Webb.: Natural Sources of Antioxidants – A Review’, Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 74, pp. 255-265.
Radha, M & Laxmipriya, N, ‘Evaluation of biological properties and clinical effectiveness of Aloe vera: A systematic review’, Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine, vol. 5, is. 1 pp. 21-26.