- September 2020
- August 2020
- December 2019
Balancing your intimate area’s pH.
Okay, let’s get serious because this time we are giving you some tough love. It’s not a lady bit, it’s not a pink clam, it is a vagina! Whether we like it or not, it is every woman’s responsibility to take care of her reproductive health as much as she does her outer appearance.
What you need to know:
- "Her" (your vagina) pH balance should sit between 3.8-4.5
- An unbalanced pH down there puts you at higher risk of contracting an STI and HIV
- During your reproduction years (ave 15-49 yrs) she will be more acidic than before menstruation and after menstruation.
- Menstruation blood has a pH of 7, which is far less acidic than your vagina. Even your period could cause an unbalanced vaginal pH level.
- If she is itchy, burning, smelly or having unusual discharge it is time to see your Dr, don’t worry 75% of women experience this during their lifetime. There is nothing to be ashamed about.
- His body wash is 100% unsuitable for her. Stop using it! Check out our alternative.
Why is a balanced pH important down there?
Because maintaining a healthy vaginal pH helps create a natural barrier to protect her from bacterial and yeast infections, sexually transmitted diseases and makes "her" far more comfortable to live with. Let’s be honest, sometimes it seriously feels inconvenient to be a woman. But let’s not open this can of worms just yet.
What is a healthy vaginal pH?
A healthy vaginal pH level, sits somewhere between 3.8 and 4.5 depending on a number of different factors. This is considered to be moderately acidic. As mentioned above, her pH level will alter throughout the different stages of life. For example, a vaginal pH levels tend to be more acidic during the reproductive years. During the ages of approximately 15-49, a healthy vaginal pH level should be less than or equal to 4.5. However, before menstruation and after menopause a healthy pH level tends to be higher than a pH balance of 4.5. Which is less acidic, more alkaline.
What are the complications of having an unbalanced hoo-hah?
(I’ll call it that only this once, I promise!)
For women in their reproductive years, having a vaginal pH level above 4.5 puts you at risk for:
- Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) - Something smells fishy? The symptoms of this bacterial overgrowth condition include a fishy odour, unusual gray, white or yellow discharge. She could also be itchy or feel burning. Although this is not a life threatening condition, women who have BV are at further risk of contracting HIV, herpes and more. Get it checked, girl!
- Trichomoniasis an STI affecting both men and women, which is spread and caused by a one-celled protozoan organism called the Trichomonas Vaginalis. It travels from person to person during intercourse.Symptoms of this infection in women include, unusual coloured and smelly discharge, spotting or bleeding, burning or itching, redness or swelling, frequent urge to urinate, pain during urination or sexual intercourse. Complications of this infection include infertility, so get it sorted ladies.
For women in their reproductive years, having a vaginal pH level at 3.8 or below could reduce their fertility rate. Sperm thrive in an alkaline environment, in fact the optimal pH for sperm is between 7.0 and 8.5 - hardly acidic! So how is it possible for a woman to conceive? Well, during intercourse, the vagina’s pH level temporarily increases and becomes more alkaline to accommodate for the sperm, as it make it’s way to the egg - typical right?! So if you are trying to have a baby, making sure "her" pH is balanced - is a great start to conceiving!
What causes an unbalanced vaginal pH?
The main superficial causes are douches and harsh soaps or cleansers, semen, antibiotics, scented toilet paper, laundry detergent and fabric softeners. Hormonal changes such as your period, pregnancy, menopause of the contraceptive pill can also contribute to an unbalanced vaginal pH level.
How to care for her on a daily basis?
- Use a condom. This one is pretty straight forward.
- Take probiotics to restore the balance of healthy bacteria, and or eat yoghurt. It is a great source of a healthy bacteria called Lactobacillus.
- Find an awesome OB-GYN you feel comfortable with, get your annual check up.
STOP USING HARSH BODY WASH AND SOAPS!
Inti-mate Fembody Wash For Her RRP $22.95 AUD
- Made in Australia
- Naturally derived
- For her intimate area