- September 2020
- August 2020
- December 2019
- October 2019
How to layer skin care products
4-5 MINUTE READ.
Layering basically means to apply your skincare products in a specific order of application, to achieve optimum efficacy from each active (ingredients in the product).
The term layering skincare is nothing new, we all know a basic routine should include a cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen. In this article, we will discuss how to use Skin Nutrient products to achieve the best results.
Why layer products?
A serum or essence water can have a more powerful effect when applied in multiple layers. Generally speaking, skincare ingredients when applied to damp skin are going to have better penetration. Layering serums and essences are especially effective when used with moisturisers. Moisturisers help to seal in the moisture rather than drawing it out, and the more moisturised your skin is, the better it will absorb the active ingredients. However, if you use too many products in the wrong way, it can lead to irritation.
Also, generally speaking, layering is better than mixing. This is because mixing can lead to an inconsistent application and consistency of active ingredients.
What to consider when layering?
The more layers you have in your routine, the more diluted the active ingredients can become, and as mentioned above - cause skin irritation. So it’s best to choose 4 to 6 products that are best suited to resolve your skin concerns (listed below). However, if you love a 9-step routine, allow the products to fully absorb and dry before applying the next product.
Applying Hyaluronic Acid on dry skin can pull out more moisture from the skin than it provides, so using a moisturiser to lock in the water is very important. Or mixing it with an essence can work well, or simply cleanse first. Whereas Salicylic acid, which is a BHA’s and AHA’s when applied to damp skin, can cause skin irritation.
This one is essential, allow everything to dry on the skin thoroughly, before applying sunscreen. If you use sunscreen on damp skin it can disrupt the protective barrier the sunscreen is meant to create. Simply, put it on 20 minutes before you leave for the day. Do not mix different sunscreens before putting it on. It can disrupt the SPF. You can layer sunscreen over the top of one another, once fully dried.
OK - let’s get down to business.
Here is a basic guide on how to layer Skin Nutrient™ products:
/// A.M Routine ///
Okay, so you have just woken up and don’t have any makeup, dirt or sunscreen to remove!
1. Cleanse the skin with our Hydramino Multi-Active Cleanser. This is made with Amino Acid Complex and contains 19 excellent amino acids that help to add moisture to the skin, protect collagen and feed the skin cells nutrients. Most importantly, this cleanser helps to prevent transepidermal water loss. This can occur when adding water to the skin (which by the way is an irritant) that evaporates and draws out more moisture from the skin and can contribute to a variety of unwanted skin conditions, including a more pronounced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
2. Without drying your skin (Avoid towels they can easily build up with unwanted bacteria use after use, and using one to dry your face can cause that bacteria to make its way to your skin, which can result in unwanted breakouts.) quickly apply Skin Nutrient™ Multi-Active Genius Water, this will slow down transepidermal water loss and begin the moisturising process, which prepares the skin for moisture and absorbs it more easily.
3. Now generously apply a Skin Nutrient™ moisturiser. This could be any of our face creams, excluding night creams. These will help to lock in the moisture you have just applied to the skin, and also protect it.
4. Once the moisturiser has absorbed somewhat, add either our Bee Venom Serum or Goat Milk Serum. Both of these products contain peptides and hyaluronic acid, which are better absorbed when the skin is moisturised and damp. Not to mention peptides acts as humectants on the skin which helps hold water in.
5. This is very important: Allow the layering to fully absorb and dry!! Then apply Skin Nutrient™ Sun Barrier Tone-Up Whitening Sunscreen. This is a very obvious step. It is incredibly important to protect the skin from UVA-UVB rays. Don’t forget your ears and lips and don’t forget to reapply every two hours.
/// P.M Routine ///
So you have spent the entire day wearing SPF and makeup, time to wash off all the daily pollutants! Make sure to wash your hands before doing the night routine.
1. Cleanse the skin with our Goat Milk Magic Cleanser. Because this product contains oils, it will help to dissolve makeup and sunscreen. You can use it without water, apply directly to your face. However, it should be washed off and not left on the skin.
2. If you want to double cleanse, you can use the Hydramino Multi-Active Genius Cleanser, which helps to add hydration and avoid transepidermal water loss.
3. Without drying your skin, quickly apply Skin Nutrient™ Goat Milk Magic Toner. This will prepare the skin for more moisture and allow all of the rich nutrients you’re going to layer - absorb much better!
4. Use a sheet mask (weekly), now that the skin is slightly moisturised it is more open to absorbing moisture. Add a sheet mask to boost skin hydration.
5. Now generously apply a Skin Nutrient™ night moisturiser. This could be either the Goat Milk Magic Sleep Cream or Bee Venom Sleep Mask. These formula contain a very rich concentration of nutrients that slowly absorb throughout the night.
6. Now add either our Bee Venom Serum or Goat Milk Serum. As mentioned in the morning routine, both of these products contain peptides and hyaluronic acid, which are better absorbed when the skin is moisturised and damp. Not to mention peptides acts as humectants on the skin which helps hold water in.
Allow skincare layering to dry.
7. (Optional) Add your prescribed retinol cream. A moisturiser helps reduce skin irritation with this highly active ingredient.