- September 2020
- August 2020
- December 2019
Causes of adult acne
I bet you thought “when I grow up, I won’t have to deal with this annoying acne anymore”, yep! We feel your pain. Here are a few points to take into consideration about what may be causing your adult acne.
1. Your hormones! It may be time to discuss them with your GP...
2. Stress!! When your are stressed, your adrenal gland produces the stress hormone “cortisol” and unfortunately this also causes a small amount of testosterone to spread through your body. This hormone can trigger your oil glands, causing them to overproduce more oil - causing nasty breakouts.
3. Pollution plays a massive role in causing undesirable acne and scarring. Make sure to wash your face morning and night. Washing your face after exercising will also help reduce breakouts.
4. You may be using the wrong products for your skin type. If your are prone to acne, you should be using products that are not oil based! Check out our Hydramino range.
5. You are cleansing too much and far too rigerously!
Over washing your face, more than twice a day, can cause your skin to overproduce oil. Therefore causing skin cells to become sticky, leading to clogged pores and breakouts.
6. You may have a food sensitivity or allergy, a lot of people report skin reacting after consuming dairy. Once again, discuss this with your GP.
7. And finally, you are eating too much sugar!
Very relevant just after the Easter break... Sugar raises your insulin level, evidence shows that insulin may trigger oil-triggering hormones. Stick to low GI foods which cause less of an insulin high.